Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Oil Safety

Oh, my... This is a subject that I wish I had paid more attention to. When I first started using oils, I put lemongrass on my neck after a shower. I was a newbie and I'm not ashamed to say it. Lemongrass was an oil that I had used several times but this morning my skin started burning. 'Wow!', I thought, 'this is different, I should try to wipe some off'. The only problem was that it had mostly absorbed into my skin so rubbing it off didn't really make a difference. Next I tried washing it off with water. BIG mistake, it then started feeling like a fire on my neck. I'm not kidding, it was starting to get really uncomfortable. I even pulled out my phone to take a pic of my skin and see what was going on. Finally, I remembered reading something about oil dissolving oil in an oil face washing post (I'll share about oil cleansing with you another day). I grabbed some coconut oil and rubbed in on my neck and the burning finally dissipated. Woohoo!  Win for the newbie. I learned a quick but important lesson that day.

We want you to be safe when you use your oils!!  Don't do what I did. To help you here is a quick list of dos and don'ts for you to keep in mind when dealing with essential oils.     ~Leah


Oil Safety

  • Essential oils are NOT water-soluble, they are oil-solubleIf an oil gets in your eyes or begins to burn your skin a little, DO NOT try to remove the oil with water – it will only drive it in deeper. Use a carrier oil, such as coconut oil or Young Living’s V-6, to dilute an EO if you have used too much.
  • Some oils are photosensitive, meaning they should not be used on your skin before exposure to direct sunlight or UV rays. Using a photosensitive oil prior to sunlight or UV exposure could lead to pigmentation changes, rashes or cause your skin to burn. Photosensitive oils include lemon, orange, grapefruit, mandarin, bergamot, angelica, etc. A reference book (The EO Pocket Reference book) can provide guidance on which oils are photosensitive.
  • Caution should be used in pregnancy when using oils containing elements with hormone-like activity such as sage, clary sage, and fennel. Although no adverse reactions have been recorded in humans when using these oils during pregnancy, caution should be used. Always check with your doctor before using oils during pregnancy.
  • Dilute oils for infants and small children 1-2 drops of pure essential oil to 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of carrier oil (coconut, V-6, etc.). The EO Pocket Reference book has a section on children.
  • Do not drop oils directly in the ear canal, though they can be used diluted on the outer back area of the ear, under the ear lobe and down the throat (for an earache, for instance). Oils can also be placed on a cotton ball, which can then be placed in the ear.
  • Do not drop oils directly in the eye. It will most likely sting and cause the eye to water (though it will not damage the eye). If oils get in the eye, a drop of V-6 carrier oil in the eye will provide immediate relief.
  • Particular care should be taken when using cinnamon bark, lemongrass, oregano, and thyme – they are some of the strongest and most caustic oils.  It is best to dilute these with a carrier.
  • Use extreme caution when diffusing cinnamon bark because it can burn your nostrils if you inhale it directly from the diffuser.
  • Keep oils away from light and heat (over 90 degrees). They can maintain their maximum potency for many years if stored properly.
  • Oils can dissolve plastics, petrochemicals, and paint due to the oil's potency. When adding oils to a drink, use a glass cup instead of plastic. After using your oil, make sure the outside of the bottle is free of oil. Use caution when setting a bottle of oil on a painted surface – if oil gets on the paint, the paint may dissolve right off!

No comments:

Post a Comment